Skip to content

WHIXLEY

* *

Yorkshire Dales weather figures to be used as a guide:
* 150 wet days per annum
* 205 dry days per annum
* 20 snow fall days per annum
* Rainfall 1,400 to 1,600 mm
* Summer temp. typically 20 to 32 deg. C
* Winter temp. typically -1 to 10 deg. C

January to March – The coldest months with a strong possibility of heavy overnight frost and snow fall especially on the dales themselves.
April and May – Significantly warmer months often with very pleasant sunny periods, but always the possibility of showers, carry a light rain coat or brolly!
June, July and August – The driest period of the year and often signifies a typical glorious English summer, with the dales at their most spectacular.
September and October – The weather is generally pleasant at this time of year with temperate autumnal days and the area is particularly beautiful with vivid flora and fauna and especially golden tree foliage.
November and December – Nights are now drawing in with the chill of winter starting to show, and the possibility of snow fall. It also tends to be wetter than most other times of the year.

Daylight Hours
Sunrise in Winter is typically after 8am and sunset is before 4pm, making approximately 8 hours of daylight. In the summer months sunrise is generally around 4:30am and sunset is around 9:30pm, making approximately 17 hours daylight.

 

WHIXLEY

WHIXLEY, a parish-town, in the upper-division of Claro; 6 miles SE of Boroughbridge, 7½ from Wetherby, 8 from Knaresborough, 11 from York Pop 467 The parish comprises the townships of Whixley, Green Hammerton, and Old Thornville The parish contained by the parliamentary returns for 1831, 968 inhabitants, and the township 621 of that number” The surface is undulating, and the land fertile The soil is loamy on a subsoil of red sand The Church is a perpetual curacy, in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value, £7 17s 1d pr !£41 Patron, the Heirs of the Tancreds

This was formerly a seat of the ancient family of Tancred, the last of whom, Christopher Tancred, Esq died in August, 1754, and by his will, left his house and estate here, for the maintenance of 12 decayed Gentlemen, four in each of the three learned professions; who must be 50 years of age or upwards, and unmarried, each of whom received, in 1814, about £50 per ann and 1s 6d per day for providing victuals, &c besides the use of two large gardens; a separate apartment is assigned to each, but, if in health, are required to dine together in the dining room every day

The Hall is 27 feet square The Chapel is 27 feet by 21, in it a pulpit and reading desk; the former of which appears as if it had never been used; having no entrance. In a vault underneath this Chapel, it is said, the noble founder lays. £20 per annum is allowed to a Clergyman for officiating here at stated times. The inmates of this Hospital are not allowed to be absent a night without leave, and the longest time of absence allowed, is five days. In the Staircase is a Pedigree of the Tancreds, commencing with Richard Tancred, Esq who married Adeliza, daughterghter of Jordan de Bussey, and ending with the founder of this Hospital

At the end is an account of the several places where the family had estates Annual value in 1786, was about £1300 The trust of this Hospital is vested in seven Governors, viz The Governors of Greenwich and Chelsea Hospitals; the Master of the Charter House; the President of the College of Physicians; the Treasurer of Lincoln’s Inn, London; the Masters of Caius College; and Christ’s College, Cambridge

The Church formerly belonged to the Priory of Knaresborough Mr Drake supposes that it was built with stones, brought from the ruins of Aldburgh; as the marks of fire are very apparent in some parts of the building: it is, nevertheless, very probable, that it was burnt, with many other Churches in this neighbourhood, by the Scots, in the year 1319 The Park wall, and most of the houses, in this village, are built with pebbles, said to have been taken from the remains of the Roman road

“GREEN HAMMERTON, a township in the parish of Whixley, upper division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York, 6 miles NE of Wetherby, and 10 W of York It is situated on the road to York, near the river Nidd The inhabitants are chiefly employed in linen weaving There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Wesleyan Reformers”


“THORNVILLE, a township in the parish of Whixley, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 2½ miles S of Whixley 7 NE of Wetherby, and 5 SE of Boroughbridge It is situated on the bank of the river Nidd, and comprises about 200 acres of fertile land”

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]

Whixley, formerly Quixley, is situated on the old Roman road between Aldborough and Aberford, just off the Great North Road and about 10 miles east of Harrogate. Stone for the walls of the church is reputed to have come from the old Roman town at Aldborough (Isurium). Similarly, the walls of the Park and of some village houses are partially cobbled, the cobbles reputedly coming from the Roman road when this was dismantled.

The ground is very fertile and for many years the village was famous for its cherries, grown extensively by friars of the priory of Knaresborough. There are verses which imply that the friars were too fond of the sweet fruit. In later times cherries were sent to Covent Garden for sale. Villagers celebrated Whixley Cherry Feast on the first Sunday in August, and some elderly folk remember the practice. House names, Cherry House, Cherry Cottage, Orchard House etc, are a reminder of these harvests, although there are few of the old trees still producing fruit, and new houses stand where once the biggest cherry orchard flourished.

For over a hundred years the Tancred family occupied the manor house and Hall. The last of the male line, Christopher Tancred died in 1754. Christopher was an eccentric. In his will he decreed that the estates and investments should not pass to females of the family, although he had sisters, but that a Hospital was to be established in the Hall, where ‘twelve indigent and decayed gentlemen’ would live and receive ?20 per year each.

Another condition of Christopher Tancred’s will was that his remains should not be buried and at various times his coffin was in the cellar of the Hall or suspended by chains in the dining room. There are references to villagers ‘rattling old Tancred’s bones’. Today the remains are more appropriately contained in a sarcophagus in the church.

The Trust sold the Tancred lands to the then West Riding of Yorkshire County Council and it was divided into small farms of approximately 50 acres each and rented to returning servicemen from the First World War. Such small farms are not really viable today and many have been combined, so that the few remaining have scattered fields. Root crops are grown, and some stock is kept. The population, between 500 and 600, remains the same as it was during the 19th century, but most workers commute to Harrogate, York or Leeds.

The ancientvillageofWhixleylies on Rudgate, the old Roman road along which the Roman “Hispania” Legion would have marched to nearby Isurium (Aldborough). To theNormansit was Cucheslaga but by the 14th century it was called Quixley after the Lord of the Manor.

For many years Whixley was famous for cherries which were originally cultivated by the friars from the Priory of Knaresborough, and in later times were sold in London at Covent Garden. A great day of celebration was the annual Whixley Cherry Feast held on the first Sunday in August, The word Feast meant “festival” rather than the scoffing of huge amounts of the fruit. Many of the houses in Whixley are a reminder of these times with Cherry House, Cherry Cottage, Cherry Tree Farm and many others. In the 17th century the Tancred family replaced the Quixleys and became Lords of the Manor, living at Whixley Hall. The last of the line was Christopher Tancred whose portrait hangs in Christ’s College,Cambridge. A stone plaque on the Park Wall commemorates Christopher first having a paling fence around the Park in 1710 and the Park wall being finished in1744, the Park to be for ever stocked with 40 deer. Christopher was quite a character and there are many stories about him. His sarcophagus can be seen in the Church of the Ascension. The Tancred estate was bought by the West Riding County Council in 1920 and, amid much controversy, four good farms were split up into 50 acre smallholdings to provide a living for men returning from military service in the 1st World War. The living of the four evicted farmers does not seem to have been given much consideration.

Today, under North Yorkshire County Council, most of these small farm houses have been sold and the land is being absorbed into larger land-ownerships, as it was100 years ago. In 1905 a hospital was opened on the hill-top south of Whixley. It was known as the Inebriates Reformatory but it seems to have rapidly become a dumping ground for orphans, waifs and strays for whom society could find no other place and eventually it became a mental hospital. Apart from being displaced, many of the “patients” had little wrong with them and were allowed out to help on farms at harvest time. They were known locally as the “Nibs”, short for Inebriates. Many of them lie in unmarked and forgotten graves in the church yard. The hospital closed in 1993 and the site now forms the attractive residential development of Whixley Gate.

The Church of the Ascension has looked over Whixley for over 1,000 years. Recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, the Church was burned and destroyed by marauding “Reivers” from the Scottish borders in the 13th & 14th centuries. The present church was rebuilt in the 14th century. Only the font and one window remain of the earlier Norman church building. Today the best known establishment in Whixley is probably The Anchor, a friendly and homely pub serving good food and locally brewed beers. A warm welcome from Nyk and Victoria is assured. The Village Hall, built in 1935 on the initiative of the W.I. is much used and is the home of Whixley Badminton Club. The Hall hosts, dances, parties, quiz nights, regular whist drives and bingo as well as the meetings of the Parish Council, W.I. Toddler Group and weekly lunches for Age Concern. It also stages the annual Whixley Pantomime. With a well equipped kitchen, a cosy Supper Room, a stage and the main hall, the Village Hall is the ideal location for Village and private functions.

Whixley is also proud to be home to Johnson’s Nurseries, probably the largest wholesale nursery business in theU.K.

There are many activities in which the active resident can take part. As well as those mentioned above, Whixley has a thriving Cricket Club with two teams playing in the Wetherby League. Ladies and Juniors are always welcome. Bellringers and Choristers meet at the Church for practice. It is hoped soon to start a local history society and possibly a gardening club. Volunteers are always needed to help run the Village Hall and the Community Shop. Whixley Village Shop is a community venture run “By the Community, for the Community”. It is a non profit making charity whose remit is to sell as much as possible local produce. The shop has been running for 5 years and is dependent on local trade and a constant supply of volunteers to man the counter, visit the wholesalers and perform a thousand and one small tasks to keep the venture going. It is very much a case of “Use it or lose it”. The shop sells Voakes’ pies, made in Whixley, local vegetables when available, ice cream, sweets, bread, newspapers and the usual groceries you would expect to find in a village shop.

 

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/PhotoFrames/WRY/WhixleyInside.html

http://www.geolocation.ws/v/W/4d6351fa87865650ff00fdd9/whixley-the-parish-church-near-to/en

%d bloggers like this: